Johanna Beach © Ian van der Wolde DATES: 2023 May 19 - 22 inclusive
HOME BASE: Bimbi Park, Lighthouse Road, Cape Otway, Victoria
Join us for our 3rd workshop, a distinctly personal and inspiring photographic experience that will help transform the way you see as an image maker. With a maximum of ten participants and two instructors, you’ll have plenty of opportunity for individual support and attention to grow your skills.
Your hosts and mentors for this Photography Intensive are Master Photographers IAN VAN DER WOLDE and DAVID SIMMONDS.
Ian is a multi-award winning photographer with a successful Melbourne-based commercial business working across all genres. Specialising in digital colour management & fine art printing, he has a passion for long exposure photography, urban landscapes & lectures in photography at Swinburne University.
“Ian is a beautiful integration of Geek and Artist, his technical abilities and knowledge is second to none from camera equipment, software, hardware to the dark arts of ICC profiling and colour management. His geek and attention to detail underpins a very creative mind with an astute eye for the extraordinary within the every day. His monochromatic landscape images are of sublime beauty and depth, couple all this with a very generous soul who loves to share his knowledge and you will know you’re in very good hands for this photographic intensive” (David’s reflections on Ian)
David is an experienced photography mentor, coach & competition judge. His fine art works are held in corporate & private collections, including the permanent collections of Museum Victoria & the Photography Museum of Lishui (China).
“David has been a longtime mentor, industry colleague and friend for over 25 years. I have always been impressed by the way David “sees” and his ability to constantly evolve and adapt. His move to Johanna Beach is one such move that has seen his work in landscape photography rise to new levels. Living in the Otway’s, David has spent much of his time exploring and capturing the beauty of the region and, unlike many creatives, he is willing shares this knowledge with others. There is no-one more qualified to lead us on a photographic journey through this region and I am thrilled and excited to be a part of this workshop with him. David’s generosity is only surpassed by his big heart, and coupled with his extensive knowledge of photographic styles and genres, both past and present, be prepared to extract the most from your own creative juices..” (Ian’s reflections on David)
“The iconic is in the eye of the beholder”
The images we now call iconic were once the work of photographers who saw the exceptional in the ordinary of their own “backyard”. They photographed and printed what they saw and felt in such a way that today our hearts and minds are inspired by their iconic images. Now we seek to do the same with you in this workshop in the beautiful environment of the spectacular Southern Otways. This is David’s “backyard”. David’s been coming here to photograph for over 30 years and now lives here full time. Ian is a respected national and international workshop leader and coach who, in his own urban environment, works to the same principles. Using David’s local vision and knowledge, and Ian’s own unique approach, together we’ll enable you to “see” the world a new and to create your own “iconic” images.
What others have said:
"The workshop was amazing, educational, great locations, great company and scrumptious food...thank you to both of you and your amazing sponsors." (Amanda N.)
"Many thanks again for a great workshop and your great teachings!" (Jane D.)
"Thank you for...making the workshop so instructive and enjoyable...your session in which you unpacked your image making journey was one of the highlights.” (Michael B.)
“Seeing David at work & the way he shared his knowledge was a real growth experience. I’d recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their photography.” (Richard C.)
“What a fun and inspirational weekend away...surrounded by the beautiful Otways...an absolutely priceless experience, thank you so much, David.” (Jessie C.)
FULLY INDULGE YOUR PASSION FOR PHOTOGRAPHY OVER A LONG WEEKEND
“A fully immersive photographic experience. Create your personal iconic image.”
• You’ll be guided on our carefully refined itinerary to multiple locations each day, getting the benefit of David’s extensive local knowledge. We aim to get you to some special places.
• Over the course of the weekend, you will have unlimited access to David & Ian for personalised coaching, both in the field and image post-production. Supporting, encouraging and challenging you to see & imagine differently. We’ll explore various techniques for creating great images, both in camera and afterwards in editing and printing. Leaving you with an empowered way of seeing, as well as a beautiful print to take home. We’ve both been experienced AIPP accredited judges, so can offer you a positive, constructive and perceptive critique of your imagery.
Venue: We’ll be based at Bimbi Park, a delightfully warm & comfortable setting located in serene bushland adjacent to the Great Otway National Park, with it’s own walking trails and Sky Muster internet - the best of both worlds.
Accommodation: Accommodation is not included in our workshop fee. NOTE: We have reserved some cabin accommodations. CONTACT US for info, cost & bookings. Our base at Bimbi Park offers a range of different accommodation options to suit different budgets, ranging from 4 star cabins (above) to powered camping sites.
Transport: You’ll need to arrange your own transportation to and from your accommodation, and our Bimbi Park venue. We’ll provide transportation to and from Bimbi Park and the various shoot locations we’ll visit each day.
Catering: Our intensive is fully catered on site by Bimbi’s own chef, using fresh local Otways produce where possible. We also provide all breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and all beverages (tea/coffee/juices) except alcohol are included. BYO special preferences for breakfasts, snacks and beverages etc. Please advise us of any special dietary requirements.
COST FOR THIS INTENSIVE LONG WEEKEND IS $1,490.00 (includes GST)
Spaces are limited to maximum of 10 people.
What do I get for my $1490?
• A welcome pack of local produce and photographic goodies
• Access to two Master Photographers (AIPP) & experienced coaches/mentor & accredited photographic judges, with personalised coaching on location and in post-production editing
• Capture to print and colour management tutorial and your screen correctly calibrated by a professional X-Rite Coloratti
• An opportunity to experience and compare a range of the latest beautiful fine art papers thanks to our sponsors ILFORD
• Editing tutorials in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CC and Capture One Pro, and more
• An A3plus fine art print of your chosen image from your time with us. This finessed image file will also be great for competitions, and the print is yours to keep and enjoy.
• A special prize for the best printed image of the weekend
• A personal call from David once you register, so we really understand who you are and what you want to achieve from this weekend
• A beautiful home base “under the gum trees” at Bimbi Park, Cape Otway, including Sky Muster internet coverage
• Transport from our base to all shoot locations (and return) each day
• All meals, snacks and non-alcolholic beverages, sourced locally wherever possible
• Barista quality coffee in the mornings
• Deposit of $290 is required to secure your place
• Balance is required in full by Friday 28th April 2023 (contact us if you need to pay by instalments)
• Contact David Simmonds to confirm your intention of attending via email and we’ll send you the booking, venue, invoice & payment details. Also what to bring re equipment and weather gear, as our Otways weather can be quite variable. Call and text David with any queries.
More Information can be found at these links:
• Potential locations (which will be weather & access dependent)
• Bimbi Park (and images of our venue)
Contact David for Bookings & Enquiries
CALL & TEXT 0418 328 710 | EMAIL [email protected]
Ian would like to thank Ilford Imaging for their kind support